Speculation surrounds abrupt pause in priest beating trial, Ross Mirkarimi’s text messages to his wife are released, agency talks up Richmond to San Francisco ferry service, more.
- Speculation was rife after the judge in the case against Will Lynch, accused of beating up the priest he says molested him, sent the jury home without explanation as Father John Lindner was about to be cross-examined. Mercury News
- Regulators argued that a judge should shut down the for-profit Institute of Medical Education, located in Oakland and San Jose, after a litany of problems. Contra Costa Times
- Ross Mirkarimi’s text messages with his wife were released as part of the Ethics Commission proceedings against him. City Insider
- Richmond to San Francisco ferry service by 2015? The agency overseeing Bay Area ferries says there’s a reasonable chance. Contra Costa Times
- Assemblyman Roger Hernandez, the Los Angeles area lawmaker arrested in Concord for drunk driving, goes to trial Aug. 7. Capitol Alert