Top of the morning’s news:
- Prop 29, the $1-a-pack cigarette tax, trailed by 63,000 votes with officials saying as many as a million votes, including absentee ballots, were still to be counted. LA Times
- While raking in $2 million at back-to-back San Francisco fundraisers, President Obama avoided all mention of the failed recall of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Tuesday, which the GOP is heralding as a blow to the president’s reelection agenda. Chronicle
- A new UC report blasts how campus police responded to Occupy protestors at UC Berkeley last fall. AP
- The Mercury News’ Scott Herhold says that after voters spoke loud and clear Tuesday about reforming public pension systems, what happens next rests in the hands of lawyers.
- State Fish & Game officials cited dozens of abalone poachers after setting up a surprise checkpoint on Highway 1 near Jenner. Santa Rosa Press Democrat