Why some California Republicans are distancing themselves from the GOP convention, Chevron shuts down its Richmond claim centers, Chronicle editorial blasts Fiona Ma for her carpool lane bill, more.
- The Chronicle editorializes against Assemblywoman and San Francisco-to-Sacramento commuter Fiona Ma’s bill to kill eastbound carpool lanes on I-80 in the mornings, saying it “may be the most self-serving bill we’ve seen in quite a while.”
- The scoreboard says the 49ers beat Denver 29-24 but in less than 15 minutes, Peyton Manning shredded the Niners defense, completing 10 of 12 passes for 122 yards and two touchdowns. Chronicle
- The Chronicle’s Deborah J. Saunders writes about how some within California’s GOP are avoiding the Republican convention in Tampa.
- A Novato woman led police on a car chase and was eventually arrested after jumping 20 feet off the end of the Richmond Bridge and for a time, at least, trying to swim toward San Quentin State Prison. Chronicle
- Early reports are that several people died when a single-engine plane crashed shortly after takeoff from the airport on Lake Tahoe’s south shore. AP
- Chevron over the weekend shut down its claim centers in Richmond after processing roughly 18,000 claims as a result of its Aug. 6 refinery fire and pollution discharge. Contra Costa Times