San Jose’s police chief quits, the late Thomas Kinkade’s girlfriend to pay $11,000 a month rent while holed up in his house, ex-state lawmaker charged with bank fraud, more.
- San Jose Police Chief Chris Moore announced he’s quitting—retiring is the operative word—at age 51, after barely two years on the job, and after not being happy with Mayor Chuck Reid’s successful pension reform push. Mercury News
- With the late Thomas Kinkade’s live-in girlfriend at odds with his widow over the artist’s estate, and her refusal to budge from his Monte Sereno mansion, a judge set her monthly rent at $11,000. Mercury News
- Former Assemblyman Carl Washington of Los Angeles was charged with bank fraud stemming from his former work for the LA County Probation Department. AP
- San Rafael’s city council voted to ban foam takeout containers at restaurants, cafes and other establishments, effective in one year. Marin IJ
- Not only did the Raiders belly flop at Miami, it appears they’ve also lost cornerback Shawntae Spencer and right tackle Khalif Barnes for the upcoming Pittsburgh game, and perhaps beyond. Mercury News