Amtrak train out of Oakland derails in Central Valley, Albany teacher accused of molestation found dead, a rare cuckoo sighting in a Watsonville park, more.
- At least 20 people suffered minor to moderate injuries after an Amtrak train out of Oakland with 200 passengers aboard collided with a big rig truck and derailed near Hanford in the Central Valley. Oakland Tribune
- Albany middle school teacher James Izumizaki, 28, arrested last week on suspicion of child molestation, was found dead Monday after apparently taking his own life. Chronicle
- A judge suspended criminal proceedings against accused Oikos University mass murderer One Goh and ordered that he be examined by doctors after his attorney expressed doubts that he is competent to stand trial. Chronicle
- Birders are flocking to a city park in Watsonville after a Eurasian Cuckoo was sighted there, only the second recorded sighting of a cuckoo in the lower 48 states. Santa Cruz Sentinel
- Trial began for Giselle Esteban, accused in the 2011 murder of nursing student Michele Le, 26, who went missing from a Hayward hospital and whose remains were later found near the Pleasanton-Sunol border. Oakland Tribune